A Favorite Quote From a Favorite Author

A Favorite Quote From a Favorite Author

Monday, December 17, 2012

Recommended Material!

Any good witch knows that the greatest power of all is the power of knowledge. As cliche as it may be, I think it's important to share with others who want to learn. Therefore, I'd like to take a moment and give my lovely readers a list of works that I have found to be very helpful and fulfilling. =)


I'll start with my favorite source: books! Something about an open book is just so calming to me. One word of advice, though, especially to those just starting on this Path: you do not have to follow everything you read word for word. I had to learn this the hard way. I used to stress out big time over "getting it all right". Wicca and Paganism are not religions full of strict boundaries and "you must do it this way!" rules. If a certain piece of information doesn't feel right to you- move on! Chances are, you will find something else that makes more sense. There is a plethora of different ideas and flavors out there- eventually, you will find your niche!

Scott Cunningham
I highly recommend the late Cunningham to anyone and everyone. He was a great teacher, and I've found his references to be accurate. There is a lengthy list of books written by him, but I'll stick to my favorites:
Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs (published 1985)
Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Crystal, Gem, and Metal Magic (1987)

Earth, Air, Fire, and Water: More Techniques of Natural Magic (1991)
Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Wicca in the Kitchen (1993) 
 
Silver Ravenwolf
Ravenwolf is a delightful author. She makes her books seem like a conversation that's always upbeat and cheerful. I particularly enjoy her work that offers you lessons. Her book on Hedgewitchery is wonderful!
HedgeWitch: Spells, Crafts & Rituals For Natural Magick (2008)

To Light a Sacred Flame: Practical Witchcraft for the Millennium (2002)

To Ride a Silver Broomstick: New Generation Witchcraft (2002)

To Stir a Magick Cauldron: A Witch's Guide to Casting and Conjuring
 
Others:
The Spiral Dance - Starhawk
Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft - Raymond Buckland
Gypsy Witchcraft & Magic - Raymond Buckland
WitchCrafting: A Spiritual Guide to Making Magic - Phyllis Curott
Dedicant and Initiate - Thuri Calafia
Walking an Ancient Path: Rebirthing Goddess on Planet Earth - Karen Tate
Awakening Osiris - Normandi Ellis
 
This is a partial list- if I listed ALL the books I've gone through, I'd be here forever! But these are great for anyone on any point of the Path.
 
Miscellaneous Material
This next list covers websites, forums, and other resources that always offer loads of new ideas and information.
 
Llewellyn's Witch's Calendar - Easily found on the Llewellyn website or Amazon, this calendar has a ton of features for the average Witch. It lists the color of the day, planetary movements, Moon signs, and historical information pertaining to Wicca or Paganism. I highly recommend!
 
http://www.ecauldron.com - This is a website that has a wonderful forum. The members are nice and polite, and tend to answer all your questions and more! It's a wonderful community to be part of.
 
http://paganwiccan.about.com/ - surprisingly enough, this site offers a TON of information. I really enjoy their articles about the Sabbats. You can even post pictures of your altar!
 
http://www.tarotforum.net - The Aeclectic Tarot site is a MUST for anyone who works with Tarot. It's another forum, but it's a great place to find new spreads and check out different decks.
 
Well- I think I've given you enough work for now! If you have any questions, feel free to let me know! Happy hunting!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment